We were planning to move Paige into my recently-vacated Mother-in-Law's bedroom. We cleared out the room and painted it the same Vienna Turquoise that was in her existing room. She would move to this room (bigger closet and she loves the window seat) and we'd get Dean settled into her old room. Well... one major 'mistake' on her part later and she no longer gets the priviledge of changing rooms. She can stay where she is and we'll move Dean into this room.
During all of this, we discovered that both her large desk and large dresser will not fit well into the layout of this room - there's one small wall between the door and the closet and neither her bed, dresser or desk would fit there - meaning all three of those large items would have to crowd onto one side of the room.
I was on the hunt for a more narrow dresser and found this one on Craigslist:
It wasn't very pretty, but I liked the 'girly' lines to the top edge and the legs. So I removed the hardware, sanded and painted a nice chocolate brown (so hip with the turquoise these days!) I headed out after the painting was all done to get new hardware (just planned to use the existing holes) only to discover that the old hardware was a very non-standard size (2" hole spacing). I could not find any new handles at all to fit. Mark suggested I fill and sand the existing holes, but that would mean repainting AGAIN and I just wasn't up for that.
So I picked up some flat wooden plaques from the craft store, painted the edges brown and ModPodged some pretty decorative paper to them and used those to cover up the holes. Drilled some new holes and found some knobs I already had from an old dresser (just needed to spray paint them) and it was done!
So it's up in the new room (now Dean's room) and isn't very masculine... but maybe Paige will inherit it some day...
I've linked this over at The Shabby Nest's Frugal Friday Linky Party and The Shabby Chic Cottage's Trasformation Thursday! Go check out some of the amazing projects!