Sunday, May 30, 2010


So we're taking the Girl Scouts to Sea World for their end-of-the-year celebration. Twelve 10-year olds... are we crazy? They've done such an amazing job selling nuts and cookies last year and this year that not only have we been able to go on lots of cool outings and camping, but we have enough money to go to Sea World for 2 days with the in-park Dining Plan and Quick Queue to jump to the front of ride lines.

It is so much easier, in a group, when we all wear our matching troop shirts. We have silk-screened ones back at the beginning of the year for all of the girls and adults to wear whenever we have outings or events. Those will be great for Sea World... but what about Day 2? We wanted matching shirts for the second day as well but didn't have the budget to silk-screen again. We had to DIY-it!
I ordered solid colored shirts online for just over $3 each. I really wanted to try out using bleach as well, so we started with a large stencil of a guitar and, using a spray bottle, misted a 50/50 water/bleach solution onto the shirts.

I wish we had made multiple stencils as not only did it get a little ragged before we finished 18 shirts, but it took forever to do these one by one and then we still had to wash and dry them before proceeding.

We then had another stencil that said GIRLZ ROCK that overlaid the top of the bleach guitar. We used three different colors of spray fabric paint across that stencil.

They turned out looking pretty cool, I think. I hope the girls like them and they're 'cool homemade' not 'embarrassing homemade'.

To speed things up (again, only 1 stencil and 18 shirts...) we needed to find a way to press the stencil down on the next shirt when the paint on top of the stencil was still wet (we had re-positionable adhesive on the backside of the stencil) we resorted to laying a piece of cling wrap on top of the stencil, rolling it on to the shirt, then peeling the cling wrap off. The stencil stayed stuck to the shirt and we were ready to spray again.

However, then we noticed that the design left on the cling wrap was pretty cool too. So we wanted to see what would happen if we laid that same cling wrap on another shirt, rolled it on to transfer the wet paint and then peeled it off.

We were left with this: I little more messy but still neat!

Once we were able to make 2 shirts for each stencil positioning and spraying... it sped up significantly. We made 18 shirts... 13 kid sized and 5 adult ones. It was a lot of fun and I really hope the girls like them.

So we're heading off to Sea World in about a week and we'll be that large, loud group in the bright shirts... on both days :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment